Thursday, September 10, 2015

Cruising to Rouen. (you have to say it like your clearing your throat.)

We left Vernon at 5:00 am this morning.  I woke up at 7:30 and opened the balcony doors, this is what I saw.
These are just a few of the pictures capturing the beauty of the French countryside.  
After we had some breakfast on the bow of the boat, we went through our last lock.  The Captain does an amazing job manuevering the boat into the lock wich is only about 4 feet wider than the boat.  I wonder where they go to river boat school???  I'll ask him today, 
Then I went back to our room to get my sunglasses and this is what I saw...
Which is our boat being lowered to lock to the next phase of our trip along the Seine.  The whole process only takes about 20  minutes, and that's from the beginning of guiding the boat into the lock.

I went to a lecture on Joan of Arc this morning.  Boy, I thought I was pretty knowledgeable...I sure learned some things I didn't know, or don't remember learning.  It just goes to show you that in history, there are always different interpretations or stories, and we believe what we're taught or what we hear.  Now I'm still pondering my thoughts.  
This is the plot of land where Joan of Arc was burned at the stake, and following is the cross that is the memorial to her.

Well, it's late and it was a perfectly packed day.  I have so many pictures and experiences to share, but they'll have to wait.  We are getting up very early tomorrow to board a coach and ride for two hours to the Normandy beaches and the American cemetery.  Tonight while being briefed  on our daily activities for tomorrow, there were very few dry eyes in the room.  I'm unsure what to expect or how I'm going to feel or react.  I do know that I'll be thinking of my grandpa the whole time.  I can't wait to get back and hug him.  I'm not sure if my son reads this, but I hope he'll always remember grandpa Lewis and tell his children about him and what a great man and a truly humble war veteran he is.  My grandchildren, my grandfather's great-great grandchildren, will not know him so it's up to Josh, Cami, Elizabeth and Chase to pass on his story.  I'm glad my children and niece and nephew know him.

I know I'm jumping around a little and  I'm sorry...just so much stuff in my head that I'm on sensory and information overload, but in a good way, not like a boring all day work workshop that you have to go to and then you want to pull your fingernails out and poke needles in your eyes it's so painful...ever been to one of those???  Yeah, me too, I usually do my grocery list and meal planning.

Notre Dame in Rouen, France.

My parting picture and thought for the day is simple....and powerful.....
Praise God!!!!

Love you all,
Mom/Cyn

3 comments:

  1. Very cool. Love the river boat pics. I always wondered about how they maneuver on the narrow rivers!! Love you momma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the pictures and blog thank you so much Cynthia.
    Love you,
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the pictures and blog thank you so much Cynthia.
    Love you,
    Tara

    ReplyDelete